Tuesday, September 30, 2014

For Profit Universities

Before watching a few documentaries about for profit universities I can honestly say I have never heard of a for profit University. After watching the documentaries I realized I know many people that have attended these universities including my own father who went to University if Phoenix. After watching these documentaries I called him to ask his opinion on them. I gathered that the horror stories expressed in the documentaries are not every case. My father was smart and went back as a graduate student had money saved up and decided on a for profit university because of its convince and flexible hours. College can be very challenging and offering a college that there are no prerequisites for is bound to have some issues. First of all an issue they did touch in the films was the strategy of targeting low income families and student because of the appeal of finical aid and student loans. This in my opinion is mean of the school to express such options when they know most likely the loan will not be able to be paid off and that is how to school or "business" makes its money. But in all honesty I think it is the students fault that they are not doing the research or even consulting others about this. When googling a school like University of Phoenix all of these case studies show up even minimal research would make me question going there. Loans are a very tricky situation to get ones self into, banks offer them to students, businessmen, couples looking to buy a home, why should these schools be scrutinized for offering these loans that do offer one to help them receive an education and become successful in life. I would have liked that opinion to at least have been mildly expressed in the films instead of that always being the bad guy. In contrary I did not like the marketing strategy of the schools, forcing people to make phone calls and target low income families and students to pressure them into going back to school and taking on this tremendous dept. In addition making the telephone operators have quotas that must be met almost forcing them to force students to agree and sign up. Also the concept of the spending how more goes towards marketing then the teaching staff, makes me think of the school as a business first school second.

No comments:

Post a Comment